Saturday, October 9, 2010
Book review grading
I've found the prospect of grading group work to be really difficult. It is hard to balance process and product, especially when 4 or 5 people are involved. For the book review, I think it makes sense to factor in both individual work and final product/group work. Because part of the point of group work is to create something together (the sum is greater than the parts), I think the grading should reflect that. If you leave out one part of that equation, the project grade will only reflect assessment of one part, not both. It seems to make sense that each group member's grade would be weighed with 40% of their work grade, and 60% as the final product or overall group grade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm a little confused by your system. Are you saying that each person should get an indiv grade and and that indiv grade would be 40% of total grade. Not sure how the 70% fits in?
oops! bad math. i'll try to clarify: each person in the group gets a different grade. 40% of it would reflect the individual's work, and 60% would be the grade that all group members get.
so, if the group's final product gets a 90, but i did not contribute very much or very meaningfully, i might get a 75. therefore my grade for the project would be:
30 points (individual) + 54 (group) = 84. other students who were more involved and contributed more meaningfully would get higher grades.
Thanks for the clarification, makes sense.
Katy,
Your math leaves me a little bewildered as well. HOWEVER, it's a sound idea. Teachers do it all the time. Your grade in this class will be 20% quizzes, 50% exams, and Final exam 30%. Personally I hate it when the final counts that much. :)Spreadsheets templates and commercial software exist to assist with this.
I think you are right about combining a group and an individual score. It is true- the point of the project is to work as a group. however, as I said in my blog as well, it is not fair to give everyone the same grade if not everybody put in the same effort.
Post a Comment