Sunday, October 3, 2010

Intel - showing evidence

The intel Teacher Workspace projects are nifty tools.

Here's the Teacher ID: Kkondrat
Student ID: Team1
Pswrd: Team1
Student ID: Team2
Pswrd: Team2

I did my assignment in Showing Evidence. It is targeted at a 10th grade global studies class where most students still need a great deal of guidance when writing papers with a thesis and supporting claims and evidence. In this hypothetical assignment, I ask students to write a midterm research paper (that we work on together in stages in class for quite a while) about the reign of Louis XIV. The question is: The art and architecture commissioned by Louis XIV went beyond ornamentation; it also served political purposes. What role did the art, architecture, and court life surrounding Louis XIV play in building a system of absolutist monarchy in France? (this question is taken from Dr. Andy Evans's Modern Europe class).

With the showing evidence tool, students will use their research to compile claims and evidence to write a coherent, well-organized paper that addresses the question at hand. The research paper itself is a summative assessment, but along the way there will be a series of formative assessments to gauge students' work and keep them on a schedule (research sheets, outlines, drafts, etc.).

This tool is for the students' advantage much more than my own. Yes, I will be able to see their progress and comment on their work, but they hold the reigns. They will be responsible for creating each claim and supporting evidence based on their own individual research, supporting their own thesis that they crafted. Once they have created and substantiated their list, each student will sign on to two other students' projects and comment on and rank their classmates' evidence. While it will be beneficial to the student whose work is being reviewed, it also benefits the reviewer since they will be able to see other organizations, claims, evidence, etc. and can potentially revise their own work for the better.


1 comment:

Ruby said...

Katy! I wrote that exact essay last fall semester in Evan's class. I absolutely loved writing it, especially using all of the primary sources from the textbook we had to buy for class. I think that using Intel for organizing a paper on that topic is a really good idea. Especially at 10th grade, students need guidance, and it is important that they get that help before college. If you ever get the chance to teach an AP European class (like I'd hope to someday too) this would be an especially good idea, because you could use much of what you learn in Evan's Modern Europe course with writing that paper with your students.